Farewell To Arms
Paperback $14.99 - Vintage
Fiction - Published: 5/Mar/1999 - ISBN: 9780099273974
In 1918 Ernest Hemingway went to war. He volunteered for ambulance service in Italy, was wounded and twice decorated. Out of his experience came A Farewell to Arms. Hemingway's description of war is unforgettable. He recreates the fear, the comradeship, the courage of his young American volunteer, and the men and women he meets in Italy, with total conviction. But A Farewell to Arms is not only a novel of war. In it Hemingway has also created a love story of immense drama and uncompromising passion.
Ernest Hemingway was born in Chicago in 1899, the second of six children. In 1917, he joined the Kansas City Star as a cub reporter. The following year, he volunteered as an ambulance driver on the Italian front, where he was badly wounded but decorated for his services. He returned to America in 1919, and married in 1921. In 1922, he reported on the Greco-Turkish war before resigning from journalism to devote himself to fiction. He settled in Paris, associating with other expatriates like Ezra Pound and Gertrude Stein. He was passionately involved with bullfighting, big-game hunting and deep-sea fishing. Recognition of his position in contemporary literature came in 1954 when he was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature, following the publication of The Old Man and the Sea. He died in 1961.
Email us or call us on (03) 9662 1396 to enquire about this book.
View more Fiction titles.
- Across the River and into the Trees Paperback $19.99
- Across the River and into the Trees Paperback $32.99
- By-Line Paperback $22.99
- Death in the Afternoon Paperback $14.99
- Farewell To Arms Paperback $14.99
- Farewell to Arms Paperback $15.99
- Farewell to Arms Paperback $14.99
- Fiesta Paperback $14.99
- For Whom the Bell Tolls Paperback $14.99
- Hemingway on War Paperback $12.99
- Islands in the Stream Paperback $22.99
- Islands in the Stream Paperback $19.99
- Moveable Feast Paperback $14.99
- Moveable Feast Paperback $19.99
- Old Man and the Sea Paperback $14.99
- Old Man and the Sea Paperback $19.99
- Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway Paperback $36.99
- Snows of Kilimanjaro Paperback $14.99
- To Have and Have Not Paperback $19.99