Men Without Women: Stories
Paperback $19.99 - RANDOM HOUSE UK
Fiction - Published: 14/May/2018 - ISBN: 9781784705374
THE SUNDAY TIMES BESTSELLER
Across seven tales, Haruki Murakami brings his powers of observation to bear on the lives of men who, in their own ways, find themselves alone. Here are vanishing cats and smoky bars, lonely hearts and mysterious women, baseball and the Beatles, woven together to tell stories that speak to us all.
Marked by the same wry humor that has defined his entire body of work, in this collection Murakami has crafted another contemporary classic In 1978, Haruki Murakami was 29 and running a jazz bar in downtown Tokyo. One April day, the impulse to write a novel came to him suddenly while watching a baseball game. That first novel, Hear the Wind Sing, won a new writers' award and was published the following year. More followed, including A Wild Sheep Chase and Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, but it was Norwegian Wood, published in 1987, which turned Murakami from a writer into a phenomenon. His books became bestsellers, were translated into many languages, including English, and the door was thrown wide open to Murakami's unique and addictive fictional universe.
Murakami writes with admirable discipline, producing ten pages a day, after which he runs ten kilometres (he began long-distance running in 1982 and has participated in numerous marathons and races), works on translations, and then reads, listens to records and cooks. His passions colour his non-fiction output, from What I Talk About When I Talk About Running to Absolutely On Music, and they also seep into his novels and short stories, providing quotidian moments in his otherwise freewheeling flights of imaginative inquiry. In works such as The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, 1Q84 and Men Without Women, his distinctive blend of the mysterious and the everyday, of melancholy and humour, continues to enchant readers, ensuring Murakami's place as one of the world's most acclaimed and well-loved writers. A dazzling new collection of short stories from the international phenomenon, Haruki Murakami
Email us or call us on (03) 9662 1396 to enquire about this book.
View more Fiction titles.
- 1Q84 Hardback $39.95
- 1Q84 Hardback $59.95
- 1Q84: Books 1, 2 and 3 Paperback $32.95
- 1Q84: Books 1, 2 and 3 Paperback $19.99
- After Dark Paperback $19.99
- Birthday Girl Paperback / softback $3.99
- Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman Paperback $19.99
- Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage Paperback $19.99
- Dance Dance Dance Paperback $19.99
- Elephant Vanishes Paperback $19.99
- Hard-Boiled Wonderland And The End Of The World Paperback $19.99
- Kafka On The Shore Paperback $19.99
- Killing Commendatore Hardback $45.00
- Men Without Women: Stories Paperback $19.99
- Murakami 2020 Diary Hardback $32.99
- Norwegian Wood Paperback $19.99
- South Of The Border, West Of The Sun Paperback $19.99
- Underground Paperback $19.99
- What I Talk About When I Talk About Running Paperback $19.99
- Wild Sheep Chase Paperback $19.99
- Wind-Up Bird Chronicle Paperback $14.99
- Wind/ Pinball: Two Novels Paperback $19.99