Islands in the Stream
Paperback $19.99 - RANDOM HOUSE UK
Fiction - Published: 28/Aug/2017 - ISBN: 9781784872045
This is the last book Hemingway wrote before he died, the story of Thomas Hudson, an artist and adventurer. Living a bachelor's life on an island in the Gulf Stream during the 30s, Hudson's existence is dictated by the waves and tides. But when his sons come to visit, Hudson must grapple with the role of father and the unfamiliar demands of family. A late work by one of America's greatest writers. Ernest Hemingway was born in 1899. His father was a doctor and he was the second of six children. Their home was at Oak Park, a Chicago suburb. In 1917, Hemingway joined the Kansas City Star as a cub reporter. The following year, he volunteered as an ambulance driver on the Italian front, where he was badly wounded but decorated for his services. He returned to America in 1919, and married in 1921. In 1922, he reported on the Greco-Turkish war before resigning from journalism to devote himself to fiction. He settled in Paris where he renewed his earlier friendships with such fellow-American expatriates as Ezra Pound and Gertrude Stein. Their encouragement and criticism were to play a valuable part in the formation of his style. Hemingway's first two published works were Three Stories and Ten Poems and In Our Time but it was the satirical novel, The Torrents of Spring, that established his name more widely. His international reputation was firmly secured by his next three books; Fiesta, Men Without Women and A Farewell to Arms. He was passionately involved with bullfighting, big-game hunting and deep-sea fishing and his writing reflected this. He visited Spain during the Civil War and described his experiences in the bestseller, For Whom the Bell Tolls. His direct and deceptively simple style of writing spawned generations of imitators but no equals. Recognition of his position in contemporary literature came in 1954 when he was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature, following the publication of The Old Man and the Sea. He died in 1961. Ernest Hemingway's last novel written before his death and his most autobiographical novel.
Email us or call us on (03) 9662 1396 to enquire about this book.
View more Fiction titles.
- Across the River and into the Trees Paperback $19.99
- Across the River and into the Trees Paperback $32.99
- By-Line Paperback $22.99
- Death in the Afternoon Paperback $14.99
- Farewell To Arms Paperback $14.99
- Farewell to Arms Paperback $15.99
- Farewell to Arms Paperback $14.99
- Fiesta Paperback $14.99
- Hemingway on War Paperback $12.99
- Islands in the Stream Paperback $22.99
- Islands in the Stream Paperback $19.99
- Moveable Feast Paperback $14.99
- Moveable Feast Paperback $19.99
- Old Man and the Sea Paperback $14.99
- Old Man and the Sea Paperback $19.99
- Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway Paperback $38.00
- Snows of Kilimanjaro Paperback $14.99
- To Have and Have Not Paperback $19.99