Something for the Pain: A Memoir of the Turf
Paperback $23.99 - The Text Publishing Company
Biography & Memoir - Published: 3/Jan/2017 - ISBN: 9781925355437
"As a boy, Gerald Murnane became obsessed with horse racing. He had never ridden a horse, nor seen a race. Yet he was fascinated by photos of horse races in the Sporting Globe, and by the incantation of horses' names in radio broadcasts of races. Murnane discovered in these races more than he could find in religion or philosophy- they were the gateway to a world of imagination. Gerald Murnane is like no other writer, and Something for the Pain is like no other Murnane book. In this unique and spellbinding memoir, he tells the story of his life through the lens of horse racing. It is candid, droll and moving-a treat for lovers of literature and of the turf." "Gerald Murnane was born in Melbourne in 1939. He has been a primary teacher, an editor and a university lecturer. His debut novel, Tamarisk Row (1974), was followed by nine other works of fiction, including The Plains (now available as a Text Classic) and most recently A Million Windows. In 1999 Murnane won the Patrick White Award and in 2009 he won the Melbourne Prize for Literature. His memoir Something for the Pain won the 2016 Victorian Premier's Award for non-fiction. He lives in western Victoria."
Email us or call us on (03) 9662 1396 to enquire about this book.
View more Biography & Memoir titles.
- A Million Windows Paperback $26.95
- Barley Patch Paperback $27.95
- Border Districts Paperback $24.95
- Gerald Murnane: Collected Short Fiction Paperback $34.95
- Green Shadows and other poems Paperback / softback $24.00
- Inland Paperback $24.95
- Invisible Yet Enduring Lilacs Paperback $24.95
- Landscape with Landscape Paperback $26.95
- Lifetime on Clouds: Text Classics Paperback $12.95
- Plains: Text Classics Paperback $12.95
- Season On Earth Hardback $39.99
- Something for the Pain: A Memoir of the Turf Paperback $23.99