1984: Text Classics: Introduction by Charlotte Wood
Paperback $12.99 - The Text Publishing Company
Fiction - Published: 28/Nov/2016 - ISBN: 9781925355765
"Winston Smith works for the Ministry of Truth in what remains of a Britain ravaged by revolution. His every move is monitored by the Thought Police, who are responsible for detecting dissent against the Party and its leader, Big Brother:and eliminating it. When he meets Julia, Winston thinks he might have found love, and a fellow loather of the Party. But when the pair are arrested and sent to the sinister Room 101 for re-education, their bond:and commitment to their shared cause:will be tested to its limits. George Orwell's dystopian vision of a world enslaved by doublethink and thoughtcrime is as terrifying now as it was on its initial publication in 1949. One of the great classics of the twentieth century, 1984 is a startlingly original and arresting novel about tyranny and the universal struggle of the individual against the malevolent tendencies of the modern state." "George Orwell (1903-1950) served with the Imperial Police in Burma, fought with the Republicans during the Spanish Civil War, and was a member of the Home Guard and a writer for the BBC during World War II. He is the author of some of the most celebrated works of non-fiction and fiction in the English language."
Email us or call us on (03) 9662 1396 to enquire about this book.
View more Fiction titles.
- 1984: Text Classics: Introduction by Charlotte Wood Paperback $12.99
- A Life In Letters $59.95
- Animal Farm Paperback $14.99
- Clergyman's Daughter Paperback $24.99
- Down and Out in Paris and London Paperback $22.99
- Down and Out in Paris and London Paperback $12.99
- England Your England Paperback $4.99
- Lion and the Unicorn The Paperback $14.99
- Nineteen Eighty-Four Paperback $22.99
- Nineteen Eighty-four: Popular Penguins Paperback $12.99
- Nineteen Eighty-Four: The Annotated Edition Paperback $27.99
- Seeing Things as They Are: Selected Journalism and Other Writings Paperback $19.99
- Such, Such Were the Joys Paperback $3.99
- Why I Write Paperback $12.99