Australian Disease: On the Decline of Love and the Rise of Non-Freedom: Short Black 1 The
Paperback $6.99 - Black Inc
Anthologies, Essays & Journals - Published: 23/Sep/2015 - ISBN: 9781863957618
'Non-freedom to the Western mind is inevitably linked with images of backwardness - Soviet tractors, East German Trabants, Kim Jong Il's haircut. But non-freedom these days is also iPads, iPhones and a dazzling array of less iconic but ubiquitous consumer goods that flood our stores, our homes and which increasingly are used to define our ideas of worth and happiness. It is a full-lipped smile achieved with the aid of collagen made from skin flensed from dead Chinese convicts.'
The Australian Disease is Richard Flanagan's perceptive, hilarious, searing expose of the conformity that afflicts our public life. From Weary Dunlop to Vassily Grossman, from David Hicks to Craig Thomson, Flanagan takes us on a wildly entertaining and unsettling trip. If we are to find hope, he says, we must take our compass more from ourselves and less from the powerful.
Email us or call us on (03) 9662 1396 to enquire about this book.
View more Anthologies, Essays & Journals titles.
- And What Do You Do, Mr Gable? Paperback $19.99
- Australian Disease: On the Decline of Love and the Rise of Non-Freedom: Short Black 1 The Paperback $6.99
- Death Of A River Guide Paperback $19.99
- First Person Paperback $22.99
- First Person Hardback $39.99
- Narrow Road to the Deep North Paperback $19.99
- Notes on an Exodus Paperback $9.99
- Seize the Fire: Three Speeches Paperback $12.99
- Sound Of One Hand Clapping Paperback / softback $19.99
- Unknown Terrorist Paperback $19.99