Joe Cinque's Consolation
Paperback $24.95 - Pan Macmillan Australia
Philosophy, Politics & Current Affairs - Published: 1/Sep/2006 - ISBN: 9780330421782
In October 1997, a clever young law student at ANU made a bizarre plan to murder her devoted boyfriend after a dinner party at their house. Some of the dinner guests - most of them university students - had heard rumours of the plan. Nobody warned Joe Cinque. He died one Sunday, in his own bed, of a massive dose of Rohypnol and heroin. His girlfriend and her best friend were charged with murder. Helen Garner followed the trials in the ACT Supreme Court. Compassionate but unflinching, this is a book about how and why Joe Cinque died. It probes the gap between ethics and the law; examines the helplessness of the courts in the face of what we think of as "evil"; and explores conscience, culpability, and the battered ideal of duty of care.
Email us or call us on (03) 9662 1396 to enquire about this book.
View more Philosophy, Politics & Current Affairs titles.
- Cosmo Cosmolino: Text Classics Paperback $12.95
- Everywhere I Look Paperback $23.99
- First Stone Paperback $22.95
- Honour & Other People's Children Paperback $22.99
- Joe Cinque's Consolation Paperback $24.95
- Monkey Grip Paperback $12.99
- Regions of Thick-Ribbed Ice: Short Black 4 Paperback $6.99
- Spare Room Hardback $23.95
- Stories: The Collected Short Fiction Hardback $29.99
- This House of Grief: The Story of a Murder Trial Paperback $23.99
- True Stories: The Collected Short Non-Fiction Hardback $39.99