History of Loneliness
Paperback $19.99 - Random House UK
Fiction - Published: 1/Jul/2015 - ISBN: 9780552778435
Odran Yates enters Clonliffe Seminary in 1972 after his mother informs him that he has a vocation to the priesthood. He goes in full of ambition and hope, dedicated to his studies and keen to make friends. Forty years later, Odran's devotion has been challenged by the revelations that have shattered the Irish people's faith in the church. He has seen friends stand trial, colleagues jailed, the lives of young parishioners destroyed and has become nervous of venturing out in public for fear of disapproving stares and insulting remarks. But when a family tragedy opens wounds from his past, he is forced to confront the demons that have raged within a once respected institution and recognise his own complicity in their propagation. It has taken John Boyne fifteen years and twelve novels to write about his home country of Ireland but he has done so now in his most powerful novel to date, a novel about blind dogma and moral courage, and about the dark places where the two can meet. At once courageous and intensely personal, A History of Loneliness confirms Boyne as one of the most searching chroniclers of his generation.
Email us or call us on (03) 9662 1396 to enquire about this book.
View more Fiction titles.
- A Ladder to the Sky Paperback $19.99
- A Ladder to the Sky Hardback $39.99
- Boy in the Striped Pyjamas Paperback $14.99
- History of Loneliness Paperback $19.99
- My Brother's Name Is Jessica Paperback $16.99
- Stay Where You Are And Then Leave Paperback $21.99
- Stay Where You Are And Then Leave Paperback $16.99
- The Heart's Invisible Furies Paperback $19.99