Nineteen Eighty-Four: The Annotated Edition
Paperback $27.99 - Penguin UK
Fiction - Published: 2/Jan/2013 - ISBN: 9780141391700
Ever since its publication in 1948, George Orwell's terrifying vision of a totalitarian regime where Big Brother controls its citizens like 'a boot stamping on a human face' has become a touchstone for human freedom, and one of the most widely-read books in the world. In this new annotated edition Orwell's biographer D. J. Taylor elucidates the full meaning of this timeless satire, explaining contemporary references in the novel, placing it in the context of Orwell's life, elaborating on his extraordinary use of language and explaining the terms such as Newspeak, Doublethink and Room 101 that have become familiar phrases today. This is the essential edition of the essential book of modern times.
Annotated and with an Introduction by D. J. Taylor
'The book of the twentieth century . . . haunts us with an ever-darker relevance.' Independent
'The greatest writer of the twentieth century.' Observer
Email us or call us on (03) 9662 1396 to enquire about this book.
View more Fiction titles.
- 1984: Text Classics: Introduction by Charlotte Wood Paperback $12.99
- A Life In Letters $59.95
- Animal Farm Paperback $14.99
- Clergyman's Daughter Paperback $24.99
- Down and Out in Paris and London Paperback $22.99
- Down and Out in Paris and London Paperback $12.99
- England Your England Paperback $4.99
- Lion and the Unicorn The Paperback $14.99
- Nineteen Eighty-Four Paperback $22.99
- Nineteen Eighty-four: Popular Penguins Paperback $12.99
- Nineteen Eighty-Four: The Annotated Edition Paperback $27.99
- Seeing Things as They Are: Selected Journalism and Other Writings Paperback $19.99
- Such, Such Were the Joys Paperback $3.99
- Why I Write Paperback $12.99