The Spare Room
Paperback $23.95 - The Text Publishing Company
Fiction - Published: 28/Sep/2009 - ISBN: 9781921520280
Helen prepares her spare room for her friend Nicola, who is flying down from Sydney for a three-week visit. But this is no ordinary visit - Nicola has advanced cancer. She is coming to Melbourne to receive treatment she believes will cure her. From the moment Nicola steps off the plane, Helen becomes her nurse, her protector, her guardian angel and her stony judge.
The Spare Room tells a story of compassion and rage as the two women - one sceptical, one stubbornly serene - negotiate their way through Nicola's gruelling treatments. Garner's dialogue is pitch perfect, her sense of pacing flawless as this novel draws to its terrible and transcendent finale.
Helen Garner was born in Geelong in 1942, and has been writing and publishing since her first book, Monkey Grip, came out in 1977.
Email us or call us on (03) 9662 1396 to enquire about this book.
View more Fiction titles.
- Cosmo Cosmolino: Text Classics Paperback $12.95
- Everywhere I Look Paperback $29.99
- Feel Of Steel Paperback $24.95
- First Stone Paperback $22.95
- Honour & Other People's Children Paperback $22.99
- Joe Cinque's Consolation Paperback $24.95
- Monkey Grip Paperback $12.99
- Regions of Thick-Ribbed Ice: Short Black 4 Paperback $6.99
- The Spare Room Paperback $23.95
- This House of Grief: The Story of a Murder Trial Paperback $23.99