Paperback $23.99 - Allen & Unwin
Philosophy, Politics & Current Affairs - Published: 1/Jun/2009 - ISBN: 9780747599579
As a novelist, essayist, and cultural historian, John Berger is a writer of dazzling eloquence and arresting insight whose work amounts to a subtle, powerful critique of the canons of our civilization. In About Looking he explores our role as observers to reveal new layers of meaning in what we see. How do the animals we look at in zoos remind us of a relationship between man and beast all but lost in the twentieth century? What is it about looking at war photographs that doubles their already potent violence? How do the nudes of Rodin betray the threats to his authority and potency posed by clay and flesh? And how does solitude inform the art of Giacometti? In asking these and other questions, Berger alters the vision of anyone who reads his work.
Email us or call us on (03) 9662 1396 to enquire about this book.
View more Philosophy, Politics & Current Affairs titles.
- About Looking Paperback $23.99
- And Our Faces, My Heart, Brief Paperback $23.95
- And Our Faces, My Heart, Brief as Photos Paperback $26.50
- Bento's Sketchbook Paperback $29.99
- Confabulations Paperback $16.99
- G Paperback $19.99
- Hold Everything Dear Paperback $19.99
- King Paperback / softback $23.00
- Landscapes Hardback $34.99
- Painter of Our Time Paperback $22.99
- Portraits Hardback $39.99