Paperback $29.99 - Bloomsbury
Art & Design - Published: 1/Mar/2015 - ISBN: 9781781688199
A meditation, in words and images, on the practice of drawing, by the author of Ways of Seeing. The seventeenth-century philosopher Baruch Spinoza.also known as Benedict or Bento de Spinoza.spent the most intense years of his short life writing. A sporadic draughtsman, he also carried with him a sketchbook. After his sudden death, his friends rescued letters, manuscripts, notes.but no drawings. For years, John Berger has imagined finding Bento's sketchbook without knowing what its pages might hold, but wanting to see the drawings alongside his surviving words. When one day a friend gave Berger a beautiful, virgin sketchbook, John said This is Bento's! and he began to draw, taking his inspiration from the philosopher's vision. The result is Bento's Sketchbook.an exploration of the practice of drawing and a meditation on how art guides our gaze to the world: to flowers, to the human body, to the pitilessness of the new world order and the forms of resistance to it.
Email us or call us on (03) 9662 1396 to enquire about this book.
View more Art & Design titles.
- About Looking Paperback $23.99
- And Our Faces, My Heart, Brief Paperback $23.95
- And Our Faces, My Heart, Brief as Photos Paperback $25.99
- Bento's Sketchbook Paperback $29.99
- Confabulations Paperback $16.99
- G Paperback $19.99
- G: a Novel Paperback $32.00
- Landscapes Hardback $34.99
- Portraits Hardback $39.99
- Selected Essays of John Berger Paperback $35.00